When it comes to restoring your smile and helping you regain optimal oral function, those who are facing tooth loss often find themselves at a crossroads: should they opt for traditional dentures, or should they get dental implants instead? While dentures are the more standard solution to dental loss, dental implants provide a more modern approach to repairing gaps.
Our team at Hendersonville Family Dental understands how difficult it can be to make the most informed decision possible for your smile. With the help of our team, choosing to get dental implants or dentures will become a much easier process. If you’re considering your dental options and are struggling to choose, keep reading to see how each can improve your everyday life.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a surgical component made of materials such as titanium, which is embedded into the jawbone to replace a missing tooth or teeth. Serving as an artificial root, the implant fuses with your jawbone over time. This acts as a stable foundation for your prosthetic tooth, known as a crown.
Your dental implants offer a more natural-looking, permanent solution to your missing teeth. In addition to their more natural look, when you get dental implants, you can restore the functional aspects of your smile, such as chewing and speaking. Unlike dentures, they have a more comfortable and secure fit.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants offer a wide range of benefits, making them an incredibly popular choice for individuals experiencing dental loss. Some of the major benefits of getting dental implants include the following:
- Natural Aesthetic: As we mentioned above, one of the most significant benefits of getting dental implants is their more natural appearance. When you get dental implants, they can match the surrounding teeth well, providing a more lifelike appearance.
- Facial Integrity: It is not uncommon for individuals who experience dental loss to lose fullness in their face. When you get dental implants, you can avoid the sunken appearance that many with tooth loss experience.
- Convenient Maintenance: Dentures may require more extensive cleaning. When you get dental implants, you can care for them similarly to the way you care for your natural teeth. Simply brush and floss twice a day to take care of this investment in your smile.
- Secure Anchoring: Because your dental implants are securely attached to your jawbone, you don’t need to worry about them slipping or coming out of your mouth throughout the day. This should also make them incredibly comfortable in your mouth.
- Durability: While some dental treatments require repeat appointments, getting dental implants is not like that. Once you get dental implants, they are incredibly low maintenance and should be a potentially lifelong solution to your tooth loss.
What are Dentures?
Dentures are removable dental prosthetics designed to replace missing teeth and surrounding tissue. There are two options for dentures, including complete dentures and partial dentures. Complete dentures rest on the fumes and are designed to be used when all teeth are missing. Partial dentures use a framework that attaches to existing teeth and is used when you’re only missing a few teeth.
Dentures are customized to fit each individual’s anatomy, and adjustments may be necessary over time because of changes in your jawbone or oral tissue. Regular cleanings and maintenance are an important part of caring for your dentures. Without proper care, you may find that you need replacement dentures.
The Benefits of Dentures
There are several benefits to getting dentures if you are experiencing partial or complete tooth loss. Some of these benefits include:
- Cost-Effective Solution: Some dental treatments are more expensive than patients can reasonably justify. Thankfully, dentures are a more cost-effective dental prosthetic option for restoring your smile.
- Improved Oral Function: When you experience partial or complete tooth loss, everyday activities may become more difficult. By getting dentures, your oral function may improve, improving your overall quality of life.
- Quick and Non-Invasive: When you get dental implants, it may take a few appointments before the process is complete. Dentures, on the other hand, are a much faster and far less invasive process for improving your smile.
- Regular Adjustments: As you wear your dentures, it isn’t uncommon for the anatomy of your mouth to change. With regular adjustments, your denture will fit comfortably and securely throughout the day.
- Versatile: Whether you’re missing a few teeth or all of them, dentures are a versatile solution for a wide variety of mouths. When you choose to get dentures, you never have to worry about not being a good candidate.
Should You Get Dental Implants Instead of Dentures?
The decision between dental implants and dentures depends on a number of factors, including your lifestyle, budget, and oral health. While dental implants are a more expensive choice upfront, they have a longer lifespan, making them a great option if you are looking for dental prosthetics that are incredibly durable.
Dentures are a great option for a wide range of dental loss, meaning you are likely a good candidate for them. They are also a great option for anyone who doesn’t have great oral health. However, dentures cannot address bone loss like dental implants can. If you choose to get dentures, you may experience a change in your face shape.
If you are struggling to choose between dental implants and dentures, it is always best to reach out to your dental professional. With their help and a thorough dental examination, they can determine which dental prosthetic you’re a good candidate for.
Hendersonville Family Dental – Your Dental Implant Partner
Whether you choose to get dental implants or dentures, a reliable dental team is essential. At Hendersonville Family Dental, our team of expert dentists and dental hygienists offers a wide range of services to patients across the Hendersonville, North Carolina, area. From dental cleanings and veneers to teeth whitening and root canals, our team provides every service you could need. If you’re ready to get dental implants or dentures, don’t hesitate to schedule. Contact our team today and prepare to have a brighter smile.